A Japanese egg sandwich is a classic egg salad sandwich. It is also called tamago sando. Japanese egg sandwich is composed of hard-boiled eggs that are mixed with Japanese kewpie mayo and put between two slices of bread, usually Japanese milk bread or shokupan.
This sandwich is very easy to make and can make you full with just a few bites only.
Japanese egg sandwich ingredients:
- Milk bread – Preferably Japanese milk bread or shokupan. But any bread available will do.
- Eggs – make sure to choose the best egg you can. This is the main ingredient!
- Kewpie mayonnaise – Kewpie is the secret ingredient and this is very essential! You can get this in any department store.
- Salt – helps to bring out the natural flavor of the eggs.
- Butter – makes the bread super tasty!
- Cream – You need just a bit of cream to pull everything together.
- Sugar – If you want to balance it a bit, you can add a bit of sugar.
How to make a Japanese egg sandwich:
- Boil the eggs – Start by cooking the eggs. You’ll need 2 eggs, hard-boiled. You can cook it for about 10-12 minutes.
- Make the filling:
- Once the eggs are cooked. Allow them to cool down, and start peeling off the shell.
- Cut the cooked eggs in half and separate the yolks.
- Mix the yolks with kewpie mayo and salt to taste. Add a touch of cream (or milk) and sugar, if you. like.
- Dice the whites then mix into the yolks.
- Butter the bread then slice:
- Butter the bread, Make sure that the edges are covered as well.
- Spread the filling generously onto one slice of bread then top with the other buttered slice of bread.
- Cut the sandwich into diagonal (or into thirds). You can also trim off the crusts if you like.
A Japanese egg sandwich is recently my favorite Breakfast. It is very easy to make and I hope you can try it at your home as well.